I Love whole wheat bread. Many people have shared their recipes with me. The really good ones always have some portion of white flour. Well I have spent years trying to master one hundred percent whole wheat bread. My criteria has been thus; that it isn't dry, doesn't fall apart in the toaster and you can use it for sandwiches. My family has suffered through many, many failed attempts. Well I can honestly say that after 3 successful batches I feel like I have made it! So I was in a huge hurry with this batch so the loaves are not formed perfectly. I wont be winning any ribbons at the fair or anything but it tastes divine! So......here are all my secrets rolled into one recipe! The recipe came out of the Set For Life book so I didnt come up with it all on my own. I just tweaked it.
For four large loaves. I mill the whole wheat right before I use it. I but 9 cups into my mixer. They I add 2 rounded tablespoons of dry yeast, 1/2 cup of high-gluten flour and a pinch of vitamin C powder. (I got those at the health nut person store) Then pulse to mix those all together. I then add 1 cup of buttermilk and 5 cups of hot water. (As hot as my sink gets it) I mix that for 1 minute (yes, Brooke I really set the timer!) I then shut off the mixer, cover the bowl and let it sponge for 10 minutes. I then add 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup honey or sugar, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt. I turn my mixer on and quickly add around 6 or 7 more cups of flour. It really depends on the day as to how much it takes. I add it one cup at a time and as soon as it all sticks together and cleans the side of the bowl I stop. I let it mix for 7-10 minutes. During that time I preheat my oven to 150 degrees. When its done mixing, I shape my loaves and put them in the oven and I shut the oven off. I let the bread raise for exactly 25 minutes. (20-30) depending on how long it takes to almost double in size. Then I turn the oven on to 350 and let it bake for around 30 to 35 minutes! Oh and it smells so good. The little girls told me yesterday that they love the days I bake bread. It makes it so worth it! And for those of you that care, there is only 88 calories a slice. (I dont measure how thick the slice is!!!) Anyway so there you have it. And I took the picture cause I told my mom I would but I also wanted to show a close up of my counter tops!



2 comments:
My mouth is watering. I wish I was there to have a slice. I am not sure aobut grinding the wheat but I will have to try this sometime!
I am so proud of the fact that you used a timer. I am sure that you did it just for me.
Post a Comment