Friday, October 17, 2008

I am not sure what the girls would do if this tree came unhooked! They would be catapulted all the way home!
Okay, you have to admit there is something pretty sexy about a man and a chainsaw!!




Okay, so when we built our house and were making the decisions as to how we were going to heat it, I was totally against the whole wood burning thing. I stink at starting a fire, I burned two spots on the hardwood floors in our last house cleaning out the ashes, and I just flat hate the mess. Well then propane became more precious than gold and I started to think that burning wood was not such a bad idea after all. We took our summer earnings and bought one of those wood burning things that are outside. You may or may not know what I am talking about. I obviously dont. All I know is that you feed wood into this little shed looking thing and it heats our water and therefore our house will be warm. It is on back order so we dont actually have it installed but now is the quest to get enough wood for the winter. Joel works on it in his "spare" time. All those hours between teaching, hunting, hardwood floors, bishopric stuff and taking care of me! Anyway, last weekend, I decided that mabey I could help the cause. Taylor was line judging at the volleyball games but the rest of us loaded up in the pick up and headed for the hills. Joel found an awesome spruce tree and started up the chainsaw. The girls and I had the job of loading the wood. I took one look at the size of the logs and had to re-think my whole plan. The little girls decided that playing was more their style. That left Brittin and I. There was no way we could even lift the beasts. We eventually took to flipping each piece end over end until we reached the truck. We left the getting the log from the ground into the truck up to Joel. Even then it took him on one end and Brittin and I on the other! Luckily she and I each brought a book so when he was at the chainsaw, I spent my time with Eragon and I think she resorted to Louis Lamor. We got a good load and then hooked up our camper and pulled it out of the mountains. The colors were still so pretty. It was just refreshing to be up there. We came home, unloaded, ate lunch and then went over to the ranch for our next load. We had a much easier time at that. We still dont have near enough to get us through the winter but our wood pile looks pretty impressive to me. Joel loves splitting wood. I am pretty sure that I could not get the axe above my shoulders but its cool to watch him. He is pretty much the strongest guy I know!

2 comments:

provobaileys said...

Do you remember the trips that we took to get wood when we were kids. Fond memories.

Melissa May said...

CUTE PICS