That makes it sound funny and it really isn't. Well the story goes.....Yesterday we were canning tomatoes. I decided it would be a great time to get the girls involved and so everyone had a job. Brittin was slipping the skins, Taylor and Hannah were working on getting the green chilies ready to freeze, and Meredith and Olivia were working on snacks. Hannah and Taylor left the sink and walked over to the kitchen table. I had a pot of boiling water on the stove that I didn't need. I decided to add it to the canner that did need boiling water. As I lifted it, it fell out of my hands and the water went all over the backs of Brittin's bottom and legs. She immediately started screaming and we got her pants off and ran her into the shower. I called 911 when I realized the pain was out of control and the skin was blistering. I just wanted them to tell me how best to get her to the emergency room. As I described the injury to them they called an ambulance. (Her screaming in the background probably didn't help much.) When the cops finally found us and the EM T's got here I was so relieved. They came in and started dressing it with gauze soaked in waterjel. Bless their hearts, they did it with her standing under the cold water from the shower and her pain was so intense she was screaming. The ambulance got here and she had to walk into the living room to get to the stretcher. I was able to ride with her and let me tell you, when your 17 year old is screaming in pain... Lajara was never so far away. They took her to the Conejos County Hospital to assess her. For a place that rarely sees any action, it was full to capacity. Heather and Tyler met us there. Tyler and the EMT (our friend Les Hawkins) administered to her. (Joel was in the mountains hunting) I am so thankful for the Priesthood. They got and IV started and were able to give her something for the pain then. What a relief when that started to work. The Dr. then came in and finally was able to check the damages. It was better than they first anticipated. The worst spots are on her bottom and on her calf. They gave her three doses of pain killer while we were there and then sent us home with some pretty strong painkillers. So I have to tell you how we were blessed through this all. First of all, I am grateful that all of the girls were not still standing by the sink because it would have gotten them all. I am thankful for Heather and Tyler who met us there, picked up prescriptions (and lots of chocolate). Brought us home and helped get her settled. Nancy got here before we left and took over for me at home. She finished canning the tomatoes we had started, put my groceries away and cleaned my kitchen. She helped the girls finish freezing the chile's and folded my laundry. That's just what I could see. The girls kept saying all night, "I am so glad that Nancy was here." She made us laugh and feel better." Nick drove up to the mountains and searched until he was able to find Joel. That was no small feat since none of us even knew where he went and Brad and Gary were hunting with him. He sent Joel home with his cell phone. Nancy's mom Kathy came and offered a hug when I needed one really bad. She took Luke home with her so Nancy could stay here. Joel made it home and had dinner ready when we got home from the hospital. Pixie (my dear friend) brought us two loaves of bread straight out of the oven and two loaves of fresh banana bread. Not to mention a whole bag of cucumbers out of her garden. The girls cannot get enough of them. There have been many phone calls and visits from so many people. I am so thankful for John and Jocelyn Comstock, the EMT's that came and took care of Brittin before the ambulence got here.
Stink
9 years ago



5 comments:
Holy crap. That is worse than I had even imagined. You are truly blessed.
I hope Brittin is feeling ok. I know it's going to be painful healing. I'm so glad that it wasn't as bad as they 1st thought. I'm glad she's going to be ok. You all are in our thoughts and prayers.
We love you guys and you are in our prayers. Isn't it great that we have the knowledge and the Priesthood. Give her a big hug from the Rogers.
MY poor little Brittin. It was so scary to see you in so much pain. WE are so glad you are ok. WE love ya.
Hey Sis,
So a hot crossed buns joke right now might not go over so big? B is a lucky girl. So does she still like canned tomatoes?
Post a Comment