Sunday, September 14, 2008

As you can see, Brittin is not in any of these jars! That's for my brother Mitch who asked me if I was in to canning my children. This was what I have been up too!(These are from friday and saturday) Pickles, Tomatoes, Rasberry Jam and pinto beans, (not shown)!! It is a lot of work, time consuming and yes, I could probably buy it cheaper at Sams but.....As a mom there are so few things that we do that at the end of the day we can sit and look at and see the products of our labors. That's what I love about canning. I can sit and look at it and think "I did this and my family will be better for it"! So I will have the girls haul these jars out to the store room now. I will put all the canners up for another year and for a short while I will feel as if I accomplished something and had something to show for my labors at the end of the day!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Good for you! It looks so pretty. I love the way food looks in those jars! And I'm sure it tastes better than if you were to buy it at sam's. I think you should leave a few jars out for decoration - the jam matches your pretty plum kitchen!

Brittin Marie said...

Whoo hoo momma!! Good job! Glad I didn't help this time??? ;)

Dani, Mark and Kids said...

You need to leave some jars out to just admire for the next week. What a women.

Gilmore Girls said...

I have to agree. I did salsa last weekend. I don't get into all that other stuff. Just the fact that I could grow all my own stuff (with the exception of cilantro and onions) and make salsa out of it was huge to me. I wish I had more ambition. I am jealous. My family wouldn't eat all that other stuff anyway. Love ya. PS. I am glad that you did not can Brittin.

Melisa said...

That is really amazing. If you decide to teach a canning class, let me know. I will make a special trip home for the occassion. I have always wanted to learn how to can. What a great thing to be able to teach your girls!

provobaileys said...

I canned rice and potatoe flakes last night and tough I didn't get water on me I did get a blitter on my finger from pouring potatoe flakes in the can. 60 cans of rice 240 cans of potatoes flakes. yeah.